Monday, June 23, 2014

CALM DOWN! AND CARRY ON.

Coach asked if I wanted to prep for an August 30 competition.

And I'm telling ya'll, I feel so good right now...so I said YES.

I want this time to be different. I want to enjoy this process, this experience, this work. So, in typical Type A Liz manner, I made a list. Some promises to myself and to my peeps.

1. (With a Bullet) I will not let my weight or body fat define my self-worth or determine my mood. 

The scale is tricky ya'll.  It is incredibly useful and incredibly dangerous. I weigh every day - because I like to see how foods affect my body, how it's responding to work load, etc. But pretty soon I have to stop. Because it can play serious mind games with you, can derail your progress and your mood, especially in the bodybuilding game where losing is not always the end game goal. Our goals for this prep is to lose body fat...the scale will land where it lands. Oh, and this? This is REAL:



2. I will not pretend to be perfect on social media; I will share my strengths and weaknesses.

Lemme let you in on something: those girls on Instagram? They took 18 pictures to capture THAT one. And then they filtered it. And used a radial blur. And cropped it. 

And so do you. And so do I. 

A friend wrote me a text this weekend that reminded me: others are watching my actions and my attitude. I am here, on this journey, to help others. It's not helpful if it's not relate-able. And friends, it's entirely possible I stopped for not one, but TWO Reeses blizzards on my drive to Dallas. Sh*t gets real. 

3. I will be honest with my Coach and myself.

Which is why the blizzard incident will not happen again. Ahem. Moving on.

4. I will listen to God, my Coach, the Bull and myself to determine what is right for me. What is right for others may not influence what is right for me.

We all want to know "what does she do?" and "what does he eat?" and "how is it possible to fit donuts into your macros, you skinny son of a biscuit...?!?" and also "I wish I was a male bodybuilder so I could eat reuben sandwiches and pretzels before work outs" and I probably can stop there. What is right for me is determined by my Coach and the Bull. God will guide this journey and He wants me happy and healthy...not covetous. 

5. For every negative thought, I will follow it with two positives. 

I mean, cause all these other girls are trying to put on muscle, right? And I'm like GOD HELP ME UNCOVER IT. I also might laugh at their attempts to power clean a barbell. God bless Olympic lifting and Crossfit. 

I did pull ups on this sorry excuse for a hotel gym piece of equipment and fellow patrons on ellipticals freaked the EFF out. It was impressive, really. 



6. I will not compare myself to pros on social media.

There's a fine line between motivation and belittling yourself. And it's name is Instagram and IFBB Pro Amanda Latona. 

6. Speaking of Crossfit...Crossfit is prioritized before gym until my Coach tells me otherwise. 

Because life is too short to not do what you love. And Coach told me I could do it all. I can do it all, right? Right!

7. I will not take my frustrations out on my family and friends. This is my choice, not theirs. 

The Bull is the most patient man on Earth. Seriously ya'll, the man put up with me during peak week and a breakfast, lunch and dinner menu of tilapia and red potatoes. It was a dark place. He also is willing to spray adhesive my suit to my butt. That's LOVE. So, in return, I will show only love. But I refuse to go into Buc-ees and buy him brownies from this point forward. That's just wrong and I will now count the days until brownies. There are 68, Just sayin.

All joking aside...I really want to enjoy this prep. I want to work my ass off, bring a better package than I did before and learn. I continue to learn so much from this process and I love it. I love the ethic, I love the determination. I can safely say now...I am an athlete. And I can't wait to see the doors that open over the next 10 weeks.

No comments: